Recently I received my first-ever spam text which reads: “Do you need some extra MONEY for the new year? You can easily get $1500 today! Just visit http://www.MyClick4Pay.com to start. Write “NO” to end.” I was hesitant to reply “NO” to the text because I thought maybe then the spammer would know that s/he had actually succeeded in reaching a real cell number. I’ve also been receiving random calls on my cell phone offering credit at “reduced” interest rates–despite the fact that I’ve been extremely careful about to whom I have given my cell number. What to do? There are, in fact, a number of simple steps you can take to reduce and/or end spam calls and texts. I also encourage you to file a complaint with the FCC — instructions below. Continue reading
Printing from your iPad or iPhone is deceptively simple–so simple that a clear explanation is hard to find when searching online or in the App store. How to print from your iPad or iPhone? The short answer is that you do not need a special app; however, you do need an Airprint printer which is connected to the same wireless network as your iPad–then your printing capability magically appears. Here’s the long (and hopefully clear) answer:
1. Do not be tempted to try to connect to a non-Airprint printer. There are apps which claim to do this (Print, Print n Share, Print to all printers, etc.) but in my experience they don’t work without a serious amount of tinkering, support a limited list of printers, or in some cases do not work at all.
2. Do buy an Airprint printer. Check out the list of supported printers Continue reading
As a brand new blogger it has taken several days for me to learn to make the most of my blog, and to become searchable by Google and Bing. WordPress has excellent support articles, but after much searching and reading I have come up with these 5 simple tips:
- Enter your new blog address in Google’s blogsearch service (in beta): http://blogsearch.google.com/ping
- Do the webmaster stuff: http://en.support.wordpress.com/webmaster-tools/. Note that Yahoo has recently merged their search engine with Bing, so you can skip Yahoo. Also remember to copy/paste only the BOLDED text in the instructions – it took me a zillion tries of doing it wrong to realize this.
- Read this to learn how to get featured on WordPress’s Freshly Pressed: http://en.support.wordpress.com/five-ways-to-get-featured-on-freshly-pressed/
- Use global tags: http://en.wordpress.com/tags/
- Add Zemanta: go to Dashboard >Users > Personal Settings. At the very bottom, just above “Account Details” see “Additional Post content”. Check the box “Help me find related content…”, then Save Changes. Go back and edit your posts with Zemanta’s suggested tags and add related content. When you are editing a post Zemanta’s recommendations show up in the lower right of the screen. Read about it here if you have questions.
- Zemanta Power User – Stephanie Bernaba at Momma Be Thy Name (zemanta.com)
- Zemanta: Your Blogging Assistant (viglink.com)
Did you know there is a very simple way to get up to 20,000 of your iTunes songs to play on your Android phone? All you need is a gmail account and the Chrome browser on your computer.
To get a Gmail account, click here.
To download the Chrome browser, click here.
UPDATE (2/17/12): Today the official Swype Beta with ICS support was released! To get it:
1. If you have the unofficial version of Swype, uninstall it. (Settings > Apps > Swype > Uninstall)
2. Go to beta.swype.com and register with an email that is accessible to your phone.
3. From your phone, open the account activation email you receive. Take note of the “account code” and then click on the link to download the Swype Installer.
4. Download the Installer, open it, login with your email and password, enter the account key when prompted, and follow the instruction from there.
If you have a new Galaxy Nexus and have tried to install a Swype from the Android Market, you have received an error message. According to Swype, “the screen size is not supported”, and therefore Swype is incompatible with Ice Cream Sandwich. They said in December that an update would come out at the end of January 2012, but so far there is no Swype for Ice Cream Sandwich in sight. However, other enterprising folks have created a Swype that works beautifully on my Galaxy Nexus. I have had it for a week now, and give an inward sigh of relief every time I use it. Here’s how to install it:
With the introduction of Apple’s new textbook program, there has been a surge of interest in downloading textbooks to the iPad. However, in trying to download a textbook, the book will appear on your iBook bookshelf, but you might run into the error message “Unable to download [your book]” with no explanation of why; or when tapping on the book you may receive the “paused” status indefinitely.
SOLUTION: There are 2 possible problems: insufficient space and/or needing to sync with your computer in order to download. To resolve: Continue reading