As a brand new blogger it has taken several days for me to learn to make the most of my blog, and to become searchable by Google and Bing. WordPress has excellent support articles, but after much searching and reading I have come up with these 5 simple tips:
- Enter your new blog address in Google’s blogsearch service (in beta): http://blogsearch.google.com/ping
- Do the webmaster stuff: http://en.support.wordpress.com/webmaster-tools/. Note that Yahoo has recently merged their search engine with Bing, so you can skip Yahoo. Also remember to copy/paste only the BOLDED text in the instructions – it took me a zillion tries of doing it wrong to realize this.
- Read this to learn how to get featured on WordPress’s Freshly Pressed: http://en.support.wordpress.com/five-ways-to-get-featured-on-freshly-pressed/
- Use global tags: http://en.wordpress.com/tags/
- Add Zemanta: go to Dashboard >Users > Personal Settings. At the very bottom, just above “Account Details” see “Additional Post content”. Check the box “Help me find related content…”, then Save Changes. Go back and edit your posts with Zemanta’s suggested tags and add related content. When you are editing a post Zemanta’s recommendations show up in the lower right of the screen. Read about it here if you have questions.
- Zemanta Power User – Stephanie Bernaba at Momma Be Thy Name (zemanta.com)
- Zemanta: Your Blogging Assistant (viglink.com)